Living life one adventure at a time

Twitter is considering #280characters

Twitter is considering 280 Characters. Is it good or not? What do you think?

Twitter is considering #280characters is it good or not?

We recently learned that Twitter is considering #280characters which will allow us faithful and enthusiast users to write even more so that we can communicate with our followers around the globe.

I have learned the Art of Twitter for the past few years and also from some of the best teachers, influencers, movers & shakers who are masters of the platform.

To be completely honest with you, it is a language that took me a lot of time, energy and effort to learn as well as understand. It is practically a second nature to write in 140 characters.

Not only it is my absolute favorite social media network, due to the fact that I can connect directly with some of the most brilliant minds.

it is a way for me to learn something new every single day, from discoveries, advancements to breaking news and monumental gaffes by someone who wants more covfefe.

Yes, it’s true that we have to keep up with technology and embrace change, however the question begs to be asked.

Why change the recipe that has made Twitter a success?

Why change the secret sauce? Is it because it needs to be more competitive with the world’s largest social media site and needs to become commercial and include ads in order to survive or be viable?

Since it’s creation, Twitter has been a platform where people from all walks of life, from students to rock stars to politicians and unfortunately, the current leader of the free world (who instead of uniting us is creating hate and discord with every tweet in flames).

We are able to write about what’s on their mind and share it with the entire planet immediately and in only a few words.

There is a quote that states the truth, you are what you tweet.

You are what you tweet. What you sent out says a lot about you right? ;)

You can tweet for the good or to create chaos just for personal reasons or objectives. Within the 140 character limit, you are forced to be short, concise and straight to the point.

If your message is long and absolutely must be shared without making any changes, you can create a thread by adding a number 1 of X at the beginning of the tweet.

Crafting the perfect tweet is harder than it looks. You have to write eye catching titles infused with humor, personality and short link (bit.ly) to where you want your reader to go to.

I won’t go too far into the technical details but from my experience and results I’ve gotten in the past and present, simply make it short and sweet.

There is just something that I URGE and PLEAD Twitter, and I know that millions of others are asking too, is that instead of focusing on expanding the character limit, is to add the edit button.

Here we are over a decade later and every other social media network has it:

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+ and more.

Why can’t they see that it would save us some time and energy and hey, if they still allow the Tweeter in Chief to laugh at his expense for his mistakes (remember everything that is uploaded to the internet stays there forever), then they have to come up with an edit option for like yesterday!

Just wanted to share my opinion on what needs to be taken care first of before they move on to other things right?

Now I’m turning this over to you…

Tell us what you think…

Should Twitter consider #280characters?

Or shall it remain the same?

What suggestion would you give them?

Let us know in the comments below and make sure to include your Twitter handle so that we can follow you!

Until next time, hasta la proxima!

All the best, todo lo mejor

K 🙂

Karla

I'm a world traveler, writer, blogger, serial picture taker and an experience and adventure collector. Fueled by coffee/green tea 🙂

Instagram: @KarlaTravels
Share:

18 comments so far.

18 responses to “Twitter is considering #280characters”

1. Aniek says:

I like Twitter better with less characters. If you can’t say it in 140 characters, use Facebook 🙂

• Karla says:

Less is more right? 🙂

High five to that! Make it short & sweet or rant & vent on FB!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts 🙂

2. Amy Gilmore says:

Great article. I love twitter and would love it if they increased to 280 chraacters. @wondrousmiss

3. I’m interested to see what Twitter will decide. I think the amount that is there now forces people to get to the point. So let’s see. Great post BYW!

• Karla says:

They are currently testing it with some of the most popular and most followed users and it will depend on what they get as a result.

4. To be honest, I think Twitter is HARD. Writing 140 characters is no easy task, but I find it to be a great writing exercise as well. Good writing is clear, concise, and to the point, and Twitter really forces us to practice this. I don’t think doubling the limit will be all that damaging, but like you said, we could probably better make use of an edit button. Lol.

xoxo, Jocelyn Figueroa
    minimalistinmanhattan.com
    hubpages.com/@jocelynfigueroa
    medium.com/@jocelynfigueroa

• Karla says:

Well everything is hard at first but once you learn and understand how it works, then everything becomes easier and so much fun!

The 140 characters have taught us a new language and we must go straight to the point and not start rambling or saying insane things like someone, ehem, in power is already doing. You can do either a whole world of good or create chaos!

Praying for that edit button to come fort STAT 🙂

Thank you, gracias for your comment!

5. Jane says:

For me, it gives a chance to keep learning how to be specific and right to the point. And that makes it even better than any other social network, you get a point in a matter of a second. I don’t think it is a good idea to change the 140 characters!
    Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea they were thinking about it. 🙂

• Karla says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Jane!

Well, we have the right to say and write whatever we want on the network and in as few words as possible.

The fun thing about Twitter is that you can follow and connect directly with either experts, celebrities or influencers and they may or may not respond but what you say matters 🙂

Also there are so many opportunities to connect with awesome people around the world instantly!

I’m very grateful for having created a part-time career starting with Twitter 😉

Than you for stopping by!

6. Kiersten says:

yes!! The edit button would be a lifesaver… I’m sort of new to Twitter (i’ve been on for a while but haven’t done much with it!) I’m long winded so 140 characters has always been hard for me! @thestoneheaddiy

• Karla says:

That’s right Kiersten!

Adding the edit button, like every other network allows, is urgent, like for yesterday!

Welcome to the Twitterverse (pst, just followed you 😉 I can tell you that it has been life-changing for me as I have met some of the most brilliant minds and believe it or not, some fab opportunities have come my way thanks to being an active participant on the platform!

We all have to put our time and effort, just as in any other account and blog, in order to grow and see results!

Don’t be afraid to reach out and put some of your personality in your tweets, your vibe attracts your tribe and that’s so true 😉

Thank you for visiting & sharing your two cents 🙂

7. Tisha says:

I’m with you on that one: GIVE US AN EDIT BUTTON! lol
    I personally feel that 140 is enough, surely anything longer can be put into a thread. As you said it’s a language we’ve all mastered. The 280 characters look long and exhausting to read!
    @Schmile_Blog

• Karla says:

Yes pretty please! EDIT BUTTON TWITTER por favor 😉

Crafting a tweet in 140 characters is an art. You have to go straight to the point and not ramble on!

Again as a writer (and I do write quite a lot), it’s great to be able to tweet more but that timeline will need filters at some point or broken down with images to make it more visually appealing!

I’ll go over to Twitter and follow you back.

8. I mean why not have 280 characters! Something for tweeters to talk about haha 😉
    -Ashley

• Karla says:

I totally get your point! Trust me as a writer I could write to my heart’s content and until the tip of my fingers hurt, however the beauty of Twitter has always been its characteristic of 140 characters. It is a language of its own and doubling it will make the timeline look like we’re in a poetry recital ha ha

If you’re having fab conversations or debates (hot topics nowadays), then yes having more space or characters allowed is a good idea.

I’d prefer to keep it simple and continue with what has made the network successful.

A few more words and my reply to you will become a blog post on its own 😉

Thank you for stopping by!

9. June says:

Unlike you I have not mastered the art of Twitter, so having additional characters might be useful for me. However, I do like the idea and challenge of crafting interesting tweets with using only 140 characters.
    Moreover, I agree that an edit button would be a much better change!

• Karla says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts June!

Well, it takes time and practice and continuous engagement on Twitter to understand it and connect with awesome people, it’s totally worth it!

Being brief is important and that’s how Twitter has become what it is. For longer statements or responses there are other platforms right? 🙂